Friday, January 30, 2009

Free Redwork BOM - January


Some of you know that I planned a Redwork BOM series for 2009 and most likely have been wondering when I'd get to it, right? Well, here I am in the month of January just by the skin of my teeth!
First let me say that this will NOT be a year long snowman BOM! I had to get that out of the way because it seems there are a LOT of free snowman BOM's out there this year. Each design will be month-appropriate but each will be different designs. I'm hoping that I've done the scanning properly and by clicking on the picture you will be able to print off the design each month or save it to your desktop. I intend to test this myself right after I finish posting. I also intend sometime in the next few months to learn how to create .pdf images for my designs. I know some embroiderers or collectors of patterns prefer images to be .pdf images. Keep your fingers crossed I can figure it all out, okay?
UPDATE: this image works fine if you save it and then print in the Irfanview program and it may work in other image programs as well. However, when you click on the above picture and directly print it, it prints too large and cuts off the date and month name at the bottom.
I have figured out how to make this design a pdf file. However, I have not figured out how to imbed it so the link uploads right here. Click on this link and it will take you to the Scribd site where you can print this design out in the exact size I intended:
For saving designs what works for me on other BOM sites is to right click on the enlarged picture and then click "save as" and save it to my desk top. I actually have a folder called "To Print" on my desktop. Then later I open the image in a free program called Irfanview. There you can make the image any size you want. If you do not have Irfanview on your computer do a google search for it and download it. It doesn't take much disk space and is an incredibly useful program. I use it for all designs and, by the way, mostly print off my patterns in a size that will fit within a 7 square inch space. That way I can cut my fabric for embroidery 9" or 10" square and trim it up later to fit a project. Another plus of the program is that you can flip images, enhance them and also crop portions of designs when there's full pages and you only want to print one.
I must give some credit to my dh, aka G, who had to help me a smidge with this design. He's always there for me when I'm drawing up designs. His background in art has been very helpful in many ways for the last 41+ years!
I hope you like my goofy January snowman. He can be done in true redwork, bluework or even in colors. In a few days I will post my finished block for you all to see. To say I'm a little behind would be an understatement!
Next month's design will be something totally different. I'll give you one hint.......do you know what kind of quilter I am?
Get Stitchin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the Snowman! He is so cute - can't wait to see what you have for us all next month. My condolences on the loss of your brother - it's hard to lose someone you love no matter what the circumstances.
Thanks for doing this!
Barbara in TN