Saturday, March 14, 2009

2008 Take It Further Challenge - August Block

I have finally gotten back to stitching on my Take it Further Color challenge blocks from last year. Because of many things I had gotten stalled on the August block but I finished it today!. I actually have all the rest of the months' blocks pieced and just need to do the embellishing on the last 4 months. The 12 blocks will then be put into a wall hanging which will hang somewhere in our home.
***
August was the month of the Olympics in China, so I have applied a copy of the olympic flag on the upper left patch.
***
On the lower left is a depiction of the Chinese character for "Harmony" which was the theme of the 2008 Olympics.
***
In the upper right, again because August is a summer month with much warmth here in Northern California, I applied a bright gold sun with a rhinestone center.
***
In the lower right corner, in addition to the badly embroidered name of the month, is a silver ring which I found at Michael's in the bead department. On it is incised the work "harmony" twice.
***
In the center I have again done a web and spider on the pansy print. This time I used a small round piece of jet for it's body.
***
All the stitches I used on this block are copies from my workbook of stitches I have observed on antique crazyquilts.
***
If you scroll down and click on the link to my flickr photos on the right of this blog, it will take you to my photostream and you can see 4 closeups I have posted there.
***
Now it's on to my September block!

Stitch On!

1 comment:

gaylenona said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one still working on last year's challenge. I've been working on November this afternoon, and still have several months to go. But we WILL finish, won't we. Great block. I love the colors and the motifs.