Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Children of the World Block #6


Children of the World Block #6
Originally uploaded by lasassone.
Well, here's block #6. Lots of straight lines in this one. Isn't he cute in his little Uncle Sam costume?

The next one I'm working on now is Portugal and he's a little bullfighter!

As I'm finishing these I am pressing them from the back over a terrycloth towel to make the stitching stand out. My Mum taught me that when I learned to embroider as a child.

In fact, I think I knew that even before I learned to embroider because ironing the pillowcases each week was my first household chore. We never had plain pillowcases in our home. She did beautiful embroidery on pillowcases and towels.

I only have sadly worn pillowcases with her embroidery on them now - none are usable for pillows. One day I'm going to make a quilted wallhanging with pieces of the embroidery in the center of crazyquilted blocks.

Perhaps I'll use 30's repros OR the real ones I've collected. I saw something similar in the recent issue of McCall's Quick Quilts.

No comments: