Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Vintage embroidery #4


Vintage embroidery #4
Originally uploaded by lasassone
Good Morning all!

Here we have the fourth embroidery I recently acquired at a Carson City, Nevada shop. It is worked on a piece of dark navy blue velvet about 8.5 inches square. This velvet is much nicer than the black/dark grey of block #3 and seems more like silk. It's very soft. However, this embroidery was definitely done in one strand of cotton floss. There isn't the sheen to these flowers that the ones on the black velvet have. It's more of a matt look and the threads on the back are definitely cotton.

I believe the flower design depicts nasturtiums which are one of my favorite flowers. If you look very closely you can see on the far right that someone at one time had embroidered an outline of a butterfly. It was removed perhaps because the embroiderer wasn't satisfied with the look.

At first I thought that I would have to embroider another butterfly there in order to use this piece but I have since changed my mind. I have not been pleased with the results of my few threadpainting experiments. I think this piece can be worked into a crazyquilt project quite well with some strategic applique piecing over the former butterfly area.

Today I'll be working to finish the piecing of my September doll quilt challenge piece and then I may try to finish that tiny outline embroidery on the purple and gold crazyquilt pillow cover. I may have to load up on Motrin a bit though before I get into that! My hands are better, but not much. I was hoping the recent Fall-like weather we've been having would help, but guess it's going to take a bit more time.

Stitch On!

2 comments:

Vivian said...

Love the vintage work. One can imagine the woman who held it and worked on it!

Unknown said...

LouAnn, Hi, I'm Lisa and you left commnets on my blog and I have been trying to eamil you back but for some reason they come back to me as undeliverable.
so I came to your blog to respond. I didn't want you to think I ignored you.
I wanted to thank you for all the nice comments you left for me.
Yes Chain of hearts is open and you can join if you would like. If you email again, this is my email, maybe I can respond to it that way, Lasa1959@nc.rr.com.
I have enjoyed looking at your blog as well. By the way what does blogline.com mean, you said you would add me to yours, I'm new at this.
Thanks so much Lisa