Saturday, December 29, 2007

Nekkid Jewels on Black RR Block

I haven't participated in a round robin for quite some time, but recently I signed up for one on the CrazyQuilt International list. We are doing jeweltoned embellishment on all black blocks.

This is my naked block that I have ready to send off. Yes, those are all black fabrics. I know some look grey, but I think it's the way the light was hitting them. They are all different textured fabrics from wrinkly taffeta and faille to crushed velvet! The hardest part of making this block was doing the applique of all the patches. The black stitching on black fabric drove my eyes crazy!

The pink stitching I did outlines the 12" square block that I intend to make up into a pillow when the block returns home. I really like the way the piecing turned out on this block. I didn't have as much trouble with the curves as I usually do. I had no plan actually. Before I began piecing I went through the stack of blacks in my scrap sorter and pulled out all the solids. I laid out a few that I was sure that I wanted to include and since some of them had curved edges, things just started to come together. The only hitch in the whole thing happened when I was about 90% done. I moved the block to the ironing board where, with the light shining on it, I discovered a couple pieces of velvet that I had included were actually dark brown & not black!

I can't wait to get started on this RR; jeweltoned stitching on black is one of my favorite looks for crazyquilting. Just this past Spring my Omaha roommates and I each stitched jeweltones on black blocks and then they were all put together. The wall hanging that was made from them was awesome and it went for many dollars at the 2007Omaha Retreat's auction to benefit Breast Cancer Research and retreat scholarships!

This will be mailed off to Japan on New Years Eve day and after that it will make it's way to Australia and then around the USA before coming home.

So, now it's back to making the outfit for my dolly model, Ashley. I must try to remember how to make a little pom pom for her hat by hand because I was unable to find a pom pom maker today at JoAnn Fabrics.

Stitch On! No time to waste!

No comments: