Monday, February 18, 2008

First Donation Block for Omaha


Donation Block
Originally uploaded by lasassone

Every year in July the CrazyQuilt Society holds a 5 day retreat in Omaha, Nebraska. And also every year Kate Hollifield (emailto:bomber17@mtco.com) puts out a call to the online crazy quilting community for donation blocks that are then put together into quilts, wall hangings, etc. The finished lovely creations that she and her helper, Mona Berning, make are auctioned off during the retreat to benefit Breast Cancer research and the CQ Society scholarship fund which helps future stitchers attend the annual retreat by giving them some financial relief.

This year the dates for the retreat are July 11 - 14th, 2008 and the link above will give you some ideas of what fun is planned this year.


I had started this block last year but never finished it. So I just now finished stitching and beading this block. It's very hard to photograph black fabrics and this, my 3rd try, looks somewhat faded. But in actuality the jewel toned stitching just really pops against the black fabrics.


All the threads I used are silk pearl threads and I think most are by Rainbow Gallery. On this block I even did the spider in silk pearl since it couldn't be black. I used RG's thinner silk perle called Subtlety. The web is done with what I usually do webs with. It's a spooled metalic sewing thread by J.P.Coats that I get at Jo-Ann Fabrics & Crafts.


I actually plan to do more donation blocks unless life gets in the way. But now it's back to sewing & stuffing Izzy's doll, Ruby. See yesterday's post for more info on that.

Stitch On!

No comments: